Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September going, Frost coming



With a temperature drop forecast for overnight, this evening found all four residents of 706 Howell in our boulevard with mixing bowls and bread baskets, pulling in the last of the garden. Tonight, the counter is elbow deep in romas and early girls. I think out of sheer necessity of finding the coffee pot, I'll be putting up tomatoes in the next few days. I clipped the rest of the basil, that massive green tumbleweed in the kitchen corner. We found several toddler-sized zucchini hiding under broad leaves. These are now hiding in our neighbors' cars. Corin and Tim were delighted with unloading these on our unsuspecting friends and I'm happy to have my load lessened by two. There are already enough green monsters lounging on the counter.

Bowl of Greens


Boys and Beets


Not one...


But two.

Tonight, we turned on our heat for the first time this season. Around the kitchen, this year's mouse keeps scurrying in and out of view, but never toward the trap (which has caught only Seth so far). When the clouds lifted this afternoon, I could see snow up Pattee Canyon. It seems, all the seasonal markers are in place. Autumn I salute you.


4 comments:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

What a great last harvest that strip of front garden brought you all! I am so glad not to have those zucchini on my conscience, though. They always make me feel guilty. The beets are fantastic.

Meredith said...

How lovely! Wish I could be there to share some. Mom

Botanie said...

I quite agree, Kim, about zucchini being guilt inducing. The eight on my counter and three in the fridge are already making me feel that I'm sure to, wastefully, compost some. Ah well. The humble squash family should be happy we continue to grow them anyway.

Rob said...

He is no gardener who can not grow zucchini.

The bug