Tuesday, January 13, 2009

100 Years Young

Our dear friend, Ruth, turned 100 today. Twenty or so people gathered at her home to celebrate this momentous birthday. The Missoulian even pitched in by running a feature on our special Centenarian. For the past two and half years, I have been making meals for Ruth two nights a week. What I thought was going to be a part time job, has turned into an incredible gift: a friendship with Ruth that is immeasurably important for me, and the chance to be part of an amazing group of people - the community of folk that love and care for Ruth.

Ruth and Patricia

Ruth sees opportunities for joy everywhere. Everyday things - the colors in her garden in the summer, the taste of a fresh strawberry, the light flooding in from her front window, a glass of warm milk at bedtime, the voice of a friend reading the paper aloud, the neighbor's cat who pops in for a visit, the blooms of the forsythia her mother planted - are all cause enough for simple and profound joy. There are fresh beauties all around, if you care to look. Ruth, who rarely leaves her home and lives almost completely in three rooms, has taught me to see the expansiveness of what is before me, even when, or perhaps especially when, it can seem so small, so limited. I cherish my dear friend: all the cups of tea we've shared, all the books we've read together, all the times we've just sat watching sparrows pick seed from the feeder, each moment unfolding simply, beautifully before us.

Friends enjoying one another




1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

We can all hope to age with such grace.

Kara and I were discussing it yesterday: how do you ensure it? All I could come up with is that it must be a daily practice that starts young. Cherishing every bit of every day, no matter how daily it is. . .which makes me gasp a bit and pay more attention.

Dancing classes? You all are too hip for your own pants. I went to yoga one night but these days am mostly homebound myself (esp. this week, with temps low and dipping below freezing.) Star-gazing, skiing, dancing. . .is there anything you don't do? When do you go to African drumming class? French pastry class?